Thursday, July 26, 2007

It's Not The Stork

Laurie sent me the most interesting text message on Thursday (that is the main means of communication for couples today, isn't it?)... Let me share it with you:

"Ok I made big oops yesterday at book mobile. distracted by S (Savannah) didn't see what book A (Andrew) checked out til he brought books down that he read during rest time. Called "It's Not The Stork." Yep it's the sex book for 4yrs & up. Sorry u get 2 do damage control."

So... tonight Andrew and I had our regular "boys time by the pond" and I asked him the regular questions I ask, "What all did you do today?" "What was your favorite part of your day?" Then I asked, "Did you read during rest time today? Or just play in your room?" He said he read... "Did you read your new library books you got from the Book Mobile?" He said yes and went on to tell me about a book that had started... but, not the "Stork Book."

So I asked... "Was there another book, something about a stork?" "No," he answered, "I don't remember that one." "I think it was called..." "Oh yeah, I read that one, too." (At this point I swallowed... almost a "cartoonish" sounding "GULP!"

So I asked... "Did you like that book?" "Oh yeah, it was very good." (OH GREAT!!! He's a boy, that was a DUMB QUESTION!!) And then he started talking about the book... "Oh wait, Andrew... I mean the "stork" book." (He thought I meant the other book he had been reading).

"Oh, yes it was good." "What was that book about?" I asked. "It talked about our bodies and body parts." "And where babies came from?" "Well, mostly about our bodies." (Ok, where do I go with this????)

"Was there anything in the book that you didn't understand or have questions about?" (I looked at him and saw complete innocence and honesty) "No, it was pretty easy to understand."

And then he went back to talking about his other book and then on to Star Wars (of course... which is somehow part of every conversation that Andrew has with anyone).

I told Laurie earlier today... 10, I was hoping for at least age 10. Knowing Andrew I just couldn't imagine what questions he might have come up with knowing his inquisitive mind. But... I guess that will be for another day. (THANK GOD!!!) And to think that's ALL I thought about for several hours that afternoon preparing for "THE TALK" with an almost 7-year old!!

No comments: