Friday, March 07, 2008

The Emergent Church Movement

This past week I've been spending a great deal of time reading about the emergent church movement. I've been aware of the emergent movement for a few years, but I haven't paid too much attention to it. But, for some reason I've been intrigued by it lately. And, to be quite honest, it's hard (VERY hard) to find a "list" of beliefs for this movement.

I ran across a new book, The New Christians; Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier, which was just recently released. I'm hoping this book will give me a better understanding of the emergent church movement.

I'm hoping to give some thoughts and reflections from my reading as I progress through the book. I do have to admit I'm torn... because I understand where they are coming from - "evangelicals" as a whole do not appear to be "doing church right" and "mainline protestants" (denominations) appear to be even more confused and have complicated the "process" of what it means to "do church." However, even though I agree we don't have it "right" I begin to get very defensive when being told we're "doing it wrong."

So... how DO we "do church" right? How do we "do church" in the 21st century in a way that Jesus would want us to? Or, is there a "right" way? Is there a "wrong" way? Does Jesus care if we are involved as churches with social concerns? Should our primary action be to preach the gospel and try to save others (can we personally "save" others anyway?) or live the gospel and let the Spirit save others through them watching us? (Did that make any sense? I couldn't figure out how to write that, but I think you know what I mean.)

Anyway... so this is what I'm doing in my spare time right now. We'll see where this takes me.

5 comments:

Douglas Rutter said...

A book you might want to check out is "Why We're Not Emergent." It provides great insight on the emergent church movement...You can find it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Were-Not-Emergent-Should/dp/0802458343/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204945066&sr=8-1

tony said...

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the book...

Strouthion said...

Thanks Doug... I recently listened to Mark Driscoll's talk "Mars Hill Church and the Emerging Church" found on iTunes at http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=23392807&id=76407747. I think you would really enjoy it... I had always lumped Mark Driscoll in with emergent church leaders, but was surprised by his views.

Anonymous said...

I heard Vincent Bacote do a seminar called "Engaging the "E" Words: Emergent, Evangelical, and Ecclesiology, Cornerstone Festival, Bushnell, IL, June 2007."

Here is his bio...maybe you could get a copy of it if you e-mailed him. It was an excellent talk on what Emergent is and what it is not.

http://www.wheaton.edu/Theology/Faculty/bacote

He said the Mars Hill Church in Seattle is:
http://www.marshillchurch.org

And the Mars Hill Bible Church in Grandville, MI (Rob Bell's Church) is not:
http://www.marshill.org

Here are some characteristics...

Questioning
Authenticity - but yet personal
Practical Theology
Practictionioners - read a lot
How are we practicing this rather than How can we write a statement of faith.
Missional - not has a mission but IS a mission.
Wholistic - be a 'do' church rather than talk about it.
More not about saving people for eternity but for social justice, poverty.
Community - not go into but part of and participate and involved in everyone's life.
It's messy and hard to define.
No model - only about 150 in US.

Those were the only notes I had written down. He was full of research and did give some recommended books but I didn't write them down. I'm sure he could provide you with them. It's a subject that has intrigued me as well. I've actually been to both of the above churches. Mars Hill in Seattle was amazing...they are 'doing' church different.

I don't know you but I happened upon your blog as I was praying for Vicky's Snyders' son and viewing her blog.

Beth Sennett (Bloomington, IL)

Strouthion said...

Thanks Beth... I appreciate your input on this. I think the Emergent Movement brings up some very good topics for discussion. I don't necessarily agree with everything that they are about, but the Church needs to take a good look at itself and what they're doing.

FYI... I think you have the Mars Hill churches reversed. Rob Bell's is emergent, Driscoll's is not. Mark Driscoll (of Seattle Mars Hill) speaks out very strongly against the emergent movement.