Sunday, June 29, 2008

It's that time of year again

It's that time of year again...



DEADHEADING

Each and every day I will be deadheading annuals and perennials from now through... hmmm... it depends, but probably into November sometime? It's not a fun job, but it is a necessary for plants to produce strong and abundant flowers. It's time consuming, monotonous, boring, back-aching, knee-hurting, thumb & index finger-bruising (yes, the tip of my right thumb and first joint of my right index finger can actually become bruised)... but, the results of it are priceless.

WEEDING

Yes... the endless and frustrating task of weeding. Above I am carefully applying RoundUp (straight concentrate) to thistles that grow in great abundance in the beds of one of my customers. If we could only discover a way to harvest the thistles and turn them into oil!! Though, I'd just be happy if the rabbits would start eating the thistles rather than her perennials!!

So, yes... I went thistle by thistle (listerally hundreds upon hudreds of them) applying concentrate RoundUp to each one with a paint brush. There are too many annuals and perennials to spray and pulling the thistles only gets them more angry causing them to return with thicker stems and pointier pricklies. So... Grab the RoundUp, I say!!!

We'll see what happens... I'll be checking the beds tomorrow and hopefully the little suckers are dying. I'm sure there will be many more to come, though.

I guess you could say deadheading and weeding gives me some job security, huh? :)

No comments: