Saturday, October 02, 2010

Tooting His Horn

This past week was a proud one for me... Watching Andrew head off to school (first time to ride a school bus to school, also) with his shiny new trumpet in hand ready to take his first trumpet lesson.

It was at this same age I also started playing the trumpet... Meeting with Mr. Sheckler once a week in the music room at Garfield Elementary School (GO GRIZZLIES!!! Oh wait... Garfield doesn't exist anymore as an elementary school in Monmouth :-( )

I would have to say, playing the trumpet was the start of my love for music... Mr. Sheckler was an important influence with that, as well as Mrs. Pedigo (piano teacher), Gene Appel (high school youth minister), Jeff Colleen (Dayspring director at LCU), Richard Hargrove (chorale director at LCU), and most recently Matt Ludwig (worship pastor at Eastview Christian Church). And probably most importantly, because of my dad and mom. And, although I never excelled with my trumpet... my love for music has grown more and more through the years... BECAUSE of the people listed above and the value they placed in music.

I can only hope that music, in one way or another, becomes as important to Andrew and Savannah as it has always been for me.

No comments: