Monday, April 25, 2011

Who's Fault Is It???

Comments made by Franklin Graham this weekend on ABC's This Week have really frustrated me. I don't have the energy or the vocabulary to address everything he said, but one item REALLY got me upset.
...the government has undermined the traditional church function of assisting the poor because it took this mission "away from the church, and...had more money to give and more programs to give, and pretty soon, the churches just backed off." (taken from "Mother Jones")
Really??? So Mr. Graham is stating that it's our government's fault that the Church isn't doing it's job? Really??? God forbid he would turn to the Church (the "church" in the larger sense, not singularly and/or denominationally), look it in the eye and make the correct statement... The Church has failed the poor, the needy, the sick, the underprivileged. The government, in my pea-sized-brain opinion, has been trying for decades to do what the Church (again, I'm referring in larger terms) has not done.

However, I'm not going to make my statement a general one about all churches (small "c" - singularly). Many churches have made great attempts, and had great success, in reaching those in need.

The church we attend in Bloomington/Normal, Illinois Eastview Christian Church, has shown great compassion and a deep desire to help those with little... I've been very impressed with the way they have desired to minister through the food pantry, benevolence, help ministries, counseling services, Imagine (distribution of thousands of toys, coats and boxes of food at Christmas). And they are looking for more and more ways to reach out, and especially through small groups.

But, many churches do... NOTHING. NOT by the fault of our government (sorry Mr. Graham), but because they just don't want to and/or they have forgotten what ALL the Church should be doing.

Here's an idea for all churches... Read and study the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) & the book of Acts... And learn how the Church can "take back" social responsibility by doing what they're suppose to do.

Ok... I'm off my soapbox and I'll get back to gardening and photography. Thanks for "listening" to this pea brain.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Just a Normal girl said...

Thank you for getting on your soapbox. I couldn't agree with you more. georgette