Thursday, February 15, 2007

Blizzard of '07

Here's what we woke up to on Wed. morning... 13-inches of snow was nice to look at for about... 5-minutes!!

Ok, so it wasn't all that bad... until I had to start shoveling, and shoveling, and shoveling. So maybe it was nice for about 15-minutes.

The car didn't get out until today (Thursday) due to the city forgetting about our street. After a few calls and some detailed explanations of how nice all the other streets in our area looked... two trucks with plows finally showed up.

It took about 2-hours of work to get the truck out... Having rear-wheel drive and no weight in the back didn't help!! Though I did find that throwing the shovel and kicking some snow clumps did seem to help :) And it was very entertaining for the neighbors, too.

The bad part was that I had to park it 2-blocks away to leave room for the street to be plowed. The last thing I wanted was for the plows to come by and bury the truck back in after I spent so much time digging it out.

I had a good time this morning taking the kids to school and Laurie to work... I had a little trouble getting onto our street since the intersection had a 2-foot snow mound blocking it. See the fire hydrant in that picture? Our street is just beyond that... of course, you can't tell because the snow mound continues from one block thru our intersection and to the next block.

But once I broke thru and found my way onto the tire ruts made by a few other trucks that had driven down our street, I was in good shape... until I had to break through the snow mound at the other end of our block.

So... I picked up Savannah first and took her to pre-school, then came back and picked up Andrew and took him to his school, then came home and got Laurie and took her to work. You would think by then I would have some good tracks leading onto our street, but as I pulled onto our street to run into the house and get something... I got stuck again and spent a couple of minutes rocking back and forth.

Needless to say, I was VERY happy to see the plows come down our street... My neighbors might have thought I was a little crazy, though, when they saw me jumping up and down on the sidewalk cheering for the plows like a kid at a Fourth of July parade. Just kidding... :)

No comments: