Thursday, March 15, 2007

Tournament Time (Woo Hoo!!)

It's always a fun time of year... NCAA basketball tournament. Three consecutive weekends that are completely focused on college basketball. Every year our families compete in a Tournament Pick'em contest and I always stink at my picks, but it's always fun to participate, make jabs at other's picks and ESPECIALLY make fun of how bad Illinois always does (ok, except for recently). Of course I was wrong on the very first game that finished... Boston College beat Texas Tech (my pick). And the only reason I chose Texas Tech was because Laurie is a big Bobby Knight fan... Grrrr... And we all know the number of times Bobby's teams have gotten booted first round.

And of course I'm cheering for my Gators

AWESOME weather the last couple of days. Luckily I got to be out in it yesterday morning, but had to sit at my computer all afternoon. Got to love 70-degree-plus days in March!! But, we're back to reality again today.. 45-degrees, and that's about as warm as it's suppose to get for the next few days.

A friend and I went to Chicago (actually Rosemont) on Monday to the Chicago Flower & Garden Show. I wasn't as impressed with it this year, but it's always nice to see blooms & green foliage when all you've seen are dead-looking things outside. My friends got a few good ideas, but... not much for me. But, it was just nice to get away for a day. If you want any ideas for some small little table arrangements here are some examples... HA HA HA!!! Are these over the top or what? I love them!!

Getting LOTS of birds at the feeders the last couple of days - gold finches, cardinals, and our happy little Carolina Wren who made himself very much at home in and around our pond and waterfall all winter. He's pretty much claimed it as his own the last couple of days... he likes to hop around on the rocks on the ledge of the pond and then hide in the ivy under a lilac bush right near the pond. Yesterday I had the windows open so I could hear him and the gold finches all afternoon.

My gorgeous orchid is starting to lose it's flowers... I enjoyed it while I could. At least they all were in full bloom for a few days.

I think this is the first winter I've had complete success with all plants that I brought inside my home. Of course, I'm still not sure about the bananas resting in the basement... I know I'm going to have to cut them back further than before. But, I think the made corum/tuber is still good on most of them - at least the larger ones. We'll know in a few weeks when I plant them. I'll keep everyone informed on progress of my gardens all spring/summer/fall. I'm hoping for a good year with my own gardens... it will help that I won't be gone for almost 3-weeks late June / early July.

The palms that I took to the church this winter have done a little better than last year (four triangle palms, a foxtail palm and a spindle palm, all belonging to a customer)... of course I won't REALLY know until I get them back outside and see how they re-adapt. The palms I assumed would die are starting to... Majesty palms HATE it indoors. But, I can't get myself to just throw them away at the end of the outdoor growing season. I also had several variegated gingers and they REALLY hate it indoors, especially after they've been growing outside in the ground all spring/summer/fall. In Florida vari. gingers are more of a shrub, but when grown in containers or in the grounds up north as an annual they are much smaller. Also, we don't get to enjoy their flower

Bella's training is coming along. The above picture is cute of her, but SO deceiving!! It's amazing how much energy a beagle can have!! Last Saturday she went on a power walk with Laurie in the early morning, a couple mile run with me late morning, a long walk with Laurie and the kids in the afternoon, and a long walk with me in the evening. What's really amazing is that she has her nose down and sniffing to WHOLE TIME!! You can definitely tell beagles are hunting dogs!! She scented an opossum in the back yard the other night when her and I were in the front getting back from a walk... she almost literally drug me to the back and then took off after the little creature. Luckily she couldn't get close to it because of the leash. I have a feeling we won't have as much of a problem with raccoons from now on. (See blog dated 10/28/06 for a complete history... and for a good laugh!!)

No comments: