Saturday, May 26, 2007

New Heart

Funny how a simple visit to the doctor for a cold can turn into receiving a new heart within a week.

A friend's husband from church went to the Dr last Friday (I think) about a cold that he couldn't seem to get better from. They ended up hospitalizing him due to a blood pressure concern... leading to bypass surgery, which he did not respond well to... which lead to him being rushed to a hospital in St Louis to be put on a heart and lung machine. It finally came down to an immediate need for a heart transplant.

The amazing thing is... a heart became available immediately, and it was a match. They completed the surgery today and we found out tonight that everything went well. They'll wake him up tomorrow and begin watching for any possible complications like rejection, stroke, pneumonia, etc.

Anyway.... it's what I've been thinking about a lot the last couple of days... What if this happened to me? What if it happened to Laurie? How would we be financially? What would life be like afterwards? How would I change after something like this?

Ok.... I have to go to bed. I'm tired from all work and no play.

No comments: