Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mormons are NOT Christians (Sorry Osteen, you're wrong)

I've watched for the last two nights a documentary about Mormonism on PBS. One word can describe my feelings after watching... DISTURBED. The documentary was originally aired in April 2007. I'm not sure how I missed the original broadcast of this documentary, but after googling... many others did NOT. There was a lot of reaction across the internet.

As I watched I had to wonder... How much money did the Mormon church pay PBS to show this four hour infomercial? That's basically what it was... an infomercial. I realize that it was a FRONTLINE and AMERICAN EXPERIENCE co-production, but... in all reality, it came across to me as an infomercial for the Mormons.

I think what disturbed me the most while watching the documentary was how Mormonism was made to look as if it is now accepted as a part of Christianity. My heart started to ache as I watched "Mormons are Christians" presented throughout part two of the documentary... first softly, but then more and more blatantly.

Earlier today while reading through my google reader subscriptions (have I said how much I love google reader???) I ran into a recent story about Joel Osteen stating that Mormons are Christians, too. At first I just blew it off and didn't really give it much thought.

Maybe I need to explain why I blew it off before I go any further... I've been a Joel Osteen fan for awhile. I've enjoyed his preaching and his books. I've encouraged others to listen to him and to read his books. I've supported his "power of positive thinking" preaching when others were slamming him for his watered down theology.

But, I think I'm seeing reality now (ok, I have for awhile, but refused to back down... I hate it when I'm that way). I'm having severe doubts about his theology and beliefs. He might be a very good "motivational speaker," but... a "preacher" he is not.

And now... THIS. Joel Osteen was interviewed on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace on December 23, 2007. Below is a portion of the interview Chris Wallace had with Joel Osteen:


WALLACE: And what about Mitt Romney? And I've got to ask you the question,
because it is a question whether it should be or not in this campaign, is a Mormon a true Christian?
OSTEEN: Well, in my mind they are. Mitt Romney has said that he believes in Christ as his savior, and that's what I believe, so, you know, I'm not the one to judge the little details of it. So I believe they are.
And so, you know, Mitt Romney seems like a man of character and integrity to me, and I don't think he would — anything would stop me from voting for him if that's what I felt like.
WALLACE: So, for instance, when people start talking about Joseph Smith, the founder of the church, and the golden tablets in upstate New York, and God assumes the shape of a man, do you not get hung up in those theological issues?
OSTEEN: I probably don't get hung up in them because I haven't really studied them or thought about them. And you know, I just try to let God be the judge of that. I mean, I don't know.
I certainly can't say that I agree with everything that I've heard about it, but from what I've heard from Mitt, when he says that Christ is his savior, to me that's a
common bond. [original manuscript]

OK... let's backup... Wallace asked, "...is a Mormon a true Christian?" and Osteen answered, "I believe they are." What????? Isn't he the pastor of the largest evangelical church in the nation? Correct me if I'm wrong, but... Hasn't it been generally accepted by evagelicals for YEARS that Mormons are NOT Christians and that Mormonism is a cult? What rock has he been hiding under since birth?

Not wanting to judge is one thing, but... come on. Is he THAT clueless on Mormonism and their beliefs? They are NOT Christians.

I'm looking forward to the next joint work between Frontline & American Experience... maybe on Jehovah's Witnesses. And if the JW's are smart, they'll have Osteen interviewed so he can embrace them as true Christians, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a mormon. And I am a Christian. I believe in Jesus Christ as my personal Savior. The only way to the Father is through Him. I believe in Him and I worship Him. How can I not be a Christian, if I believe That He is Christ?

A lot of that documentary was false. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had nothing to do with the production of it and the church did not profit in any way by it.

Let's talk about Christ and being Christ-like....hmmmm, He never judged other's, did He?

Anonymous said...

I am not a Mormen, but I do not support o much Bigotry that I often see come from my fellow Christians. What would our Lord Jesus Christ think of us who speak with words filled more with hatred than with understanding.

Lets be Christ like and love all for who they are.

Strouthion said...

Hmmm... well, I don't think I've ever been called a bigot before. That is quite an interesting first for me. But, I'm sorry, that doesn't change my opinion of Mormons vs Christians. Read and study about it. It's clear that Mormons have a completely different "understanding" of God than Christ Followers do. Quite honestly, I think the Lord Jesus Christ is looking down and shaking his head at what Mormons believe. Again, read and study about the differences. It becomes quite clear there is a difference. But, enough on that. Sorry... old subject. Nothing more to be said about it now.