Saturday, February 09, 2008

Stress Reduction 101


The below was taken from http://johnteshblog.typepad.com (and yes… I'm a John Tesh fan)


The average workweek in North America is now fifty-plus hours and we are easily reachable 24/7. No wonder you and I are in dire need of some serious stress reduction.


Today's excerpt from my upcoming book Intelligence For Your Life: Powerful Lessons For Personal Growth offers you the first seminar class in Stress Reduction 101.


Even when we're at the beach, or on the wilderness-hiking trail, 25 percent of us are using our cell phone, iPod, or other portable communication device. We are officially sacrificing the moment to technology. We are refusing to pay attention to what is going on right in front of our noses. We are putting technology between us and real life, watching the JumboTron at the stadium instead of the football game happening right in front of us, watching the birth of our child on the tiny screen of our digital camcorder instead of experiencing the real thing.


Okay, so why do we over-use technology? Our researchers on the John Tesh Radio Show have found dozens of experts who agree that we are afraid to be bored. We try to fill every silence with a log-on or a ringback or a text message. Also, technology is addicting. There's a reason the BlackBerry's nickname is the CrackBerry. Technology is now so involved in our lives, laws have been passed to keep us focused on the road. Theatres have to remind patrons to turn off their cell phones. Personal safety experts warn joggers plugged into MP3 players that they are now prime targets for muggers.


In the olden days there was something called "watercooler talk" where business people would gather around the watercooler or coffee machine and have a timely conversation. In the past, everyone read the local newspaper and watched the same TV channels. Not any more. There is nothing wrong with all the amazing choices we have today. Internet . . . iTunes . . . TiVo. But all of the choices drastically lower the chances that you and your coworker will have anything in common to talk about. (And in the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that as I am writing this my computer just automatically checked my e-mail.)


Be honest. How many times have you e-mailed the person in the cubicle next to you at work instead of just going over to speak? Even as you read this, scientists are studying the hypothesis that a constant connection to information—especially disturbing information (e.g., the eleven o'clock news right before you go to sleep)—has a profound effect on your levels of cortisol (a.k.a. the stress hormone) and causes a rise in blood sugar levels and anxiety. We are connecting ourselves to death.


So what are the solutions? Here's the first one:


Have at least one day a week when you and your family practice what is now known as a 'technology fast'. No Internet, TV, text messaging or e-mail for one day. See how it feels. There are quite a few businesses who have called us on the radio show bragging about their 'no e-mail Fridays' when employees must communicate via telephone or personal contact. They say the results are profound.


My book Intelligence For Your Life: Powerful Lessons for Personal Growth offers you many more tips on how to reduce your stress level in a 24/7 society.


To get your copy of my book, you can preorder it at half price before the March 11th release date. Plus you'll receive a free DVD of John Tesh Alive Music&Dance and I will autograph your copy of the book. Don't delay. Order now by just clicking here.


Just the thought of having a "technology fast" stressed me out!! Could I do that? Could I be COMPLETELY away from technology for an entire day? Almost immediately after I get up in the mornings, during my breakfast or right after, I'm opening my laptop to read the news (Pantagraph, Chicago Tribune, MSNBC) and perusing my subscriptions on google reader. In the background I hear either Today or PBS Kids. After Laurie leaves for work and the kids go to school, I'll respond to some emails while Today, the radio or a CD plays in the background. I'll head to Gold's Gym with my iPod in hand… BLAH BLAH BLAH. No technology for a day??? I think the kids would have a much easier time of it than I would. What I gave was only my first 2-3 hours of the day. iPod is ALWAYS handy to pop into my ears or in the car the radio is always on (love my WGN 720) or a CD is blaring (Yeah, Laurie reminds me about my hearing all the time). When home, usually the TV is on or a CD is spinning or the radio is broadcasting. Get this… we even leave the radio on all day for Buttercup (our canary) and Tumnus (our dog). Are we the only ones that do that? So, I guess you could say we have even gotten our pets addicted to technology, too. Now THAT is sad!! Throughout the day, I'll open my laptop several times to check emails, send emails, mess with my blog or facebook page, look up meaningless and unimportant things on the internet. And the evening… whoa… Laptop open, laptop closed, laptop open, laptop closed, laptop open, laptop closed.


I like the idea of a "technology fast." I need it, my kids need it, Laurie needs it… our pets even need it.

No comments: