Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Forgotten Souls Cemetery

On Monday, January 26th I was sitting down to read the Sunday Pantagraph. I seldom ever read our “paper” newspaper anymore because I receive most of my news online, by radio or by TV. I was quickly flying through the paper when an article grabbed my attention… it was about a “poor farm” that use to be located a few miles south of Bloomington. After reading the article I immediately began researching more about this “poor farm” by internet and by contacting the McLean County Museum of History. With their assistance I was able to learn a few more specifics, but more than anything I wanted to know more about and how to get to the cemetery. All that remains of the “poor farm” is the cemetery, the superintendent’s house (now the residence for the family farming the land) and a water tower built (I think) mid-1900’s.

After waiting a couple of hours, I finally received a call from the county and I was granted permission to enter the cemetery for the purpose of shooting photographs. So off I drove on the back roads south of Bloomington... I parked at the county’s animal shelter and hiked a ¼-mile across a cornfield towards a large area of weeds. The closer I got I started to see the cement markers jutting out of the snow...

About 25-feet out from the edge of the cemetery I just stood and stared… I felt a tremendous amount of sadness overcome me. Here lies the forgotten souls…

The Forgotten Souls 12.jpg

The Forgotten Souls 12.jpg
The Forgotten Souls 12.jpg
The Forgotten Souls 12.jpg
To see all photos from this shoot click here.

No comments: