Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Recent "Remember When...?"

I turned to Laurie the other day and suddenly asked... "Do you remember when we learned to drive you had to use a floorboard button to turn on the brights?" I have absolutely no idea why that came to mind... again, (as I stated in my previous post) I have stopped asking "why" when I think of something strange.

I'm not really sure when they stopped doing that, but it sure does make more sense than putting it on a little stick that also includes front and back window washers, cruise control and blinkers. Especially when my hands are already busy with the A/C, my music choice on my iPod, texting and setting my GPS. I guess they considered "foot multi-tasking"dangerous back then... it is quite hazardardous for all those left foot brakers (i.e. brake-riders) and clutch users. I've also heard there were a lot of drivers without left legs suing car companies for "equal opportunity high beam rights" (yes, that was a joke... please don't google that).

I wonder what a car salesman (oh, excuse me... salesperson) would say today if I asked for a "floorboard high-beam button" to be installed as an option for a new vehicle?

1 comment:

Wade said...

Funny, I thought about that a while back when I turned on the wipers, lowered the steering column, and everything else but turn the brights on. The foot button just made sense. Plus, it made a reassuring "snap" and you knew it was working.