Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Help Keep Local News LOCAL to Peoria & Bloomington/Normal

Granite Broadcasting, the owners of WEEK TV & WHOI TV in Peoria, Illinois want to move all "local" news broadcasting to Fort Wayne, Indiana... PLEASE read the news story in the Peoria Journal Star, and watch the following video:



What I do find very humorous is Granite Broadcasting's main website...

Ok... so I manipulated the website just a little...

Below is the email that I sent to the following individuals:
  • Mr. Peter Markham, Chairman of Granite Broadcasting, p.markham@granitetv.com
  • Mr. Duane Lammers, Chief Operating Officer of Granite Broadcasting, at d.lammers@granitetv.com
  • Mr. Mark DeSantis, general manager of WEEK/WHOI TV at mdesantis@week.com \
The email I sent reads as follows:

Dear Mr. Markham, Mr. DeSantis, and Mr. Lammers:

Please DO NOT remove local news broadcasting for WEEK and WHOI in Peoria, Illinois. What does Fort Wayne, Indiana know about Peoria and Bloomington/Normal, Illinois? If you’re going to move the central Illinois broadcast location, why move it to Fort Wayne, Indiana? Why not Detroit, Michigan? Or Duluth, Minnesota? Or Fresno, California? Or Syracuse, New York? Any of those locations are just as “local” as Fort Wayne, Indiana. What are you thinking???

You can try to make it appear as local as you would like, but it WON’T WORK. You WILL LOSE advertising dollars if this happens. You WILL LOSE viewers. You WILL LOSE local business partnerships. Sometimes, what looks like a smart financial decision ends up a financial disaster in the long run. We have already seen a decrease in the quality of production … NOT the personalities, but the technical production of the broadcasts … over the past couple of years on WEEK news at 6 and 10… If you move everything to Fort Wayne, Indiana it will only get worse.

When I want national/world news I watch Brian Williams or MSNBC. But for LOCAL news, I want to watch a LOCAL station like WEEK. DO NOT TAKE THIS LOCAL OPTION AWAY FROM US.

On your main website, www.granitetv.com, you say you are “A LEADING INNOVATOR IN LOCAL MEDIa” – Please remove the word “local” from that. Because you obviously have no understanding of what the term really means… Fort Wayne, Indiana is NOT “local” for central Illinois.

Mark Sexton
309-838-2252
Visit me on FACEBOOK,
read my BLOG
follow me on TWITTER

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I second That

Unknown said...

I hope this works out for our friends at Week and Whoi

Unknown said...

I am trying to help. I am from Pekin originally, but have lived in S. E. Missouri for the past 4 years. I still rather watch WEEK than my local news down here. I miss it.

I have copied the email and have sent it once again. I hope it helps.

Thanks,
Sean

Unknown said...

Hello! I am a mother of three daughters. I like the positive note that used to end each broadcast! I cannot imagine how that will happen if our news comes from gang terrorized cities! Having the same faces on the television every night, seeing them at various events - well, they kind of grow on you and become a part of your family. Hearing and trusting the same people to tell you the news everyday, come rain or shine, is a part of Americana! I am glad that I live in an area with the 'hometown' feel! If I wanted 'big' city news, that is where I would have chosen to reside. The many voices that protest this change are all wanting to preserve and pass to the next generation the small slice of American pie which remains. If a tragic death of a child were to occur, will the new news-anchor people attend the candlelight vigil? I think not! This television station consolidation is as tragic as the school consolidations - and I suspect it would be a move we would all come to regret allowing!