Tuesday, November 27, 2012

That Could Be Me

I left an interview this morning excited, pumped, confident, ready to go!!! As I drove home I thought of nothing but the opportunity of working for this particular bank and the future I might have with them.

Then, as I got closer to home, I drove past a homeless person... at least he appeared to be homeless. You know the look, the clothes, the facial features, the physical condition, the eyes... You just know it when you see it.

As I sat at the stoplight I watched him, and my heart sank, my jaw dropped, my emotions began to erupt... That could be me.

"Really???" you might ask... "No way, that could never be you!"

But, guess what... That could be any of us.

The loss of a job, a difficult divorce, the death of a child, misuse of finances, one drink too many, one bet too large, a debilitating accident, overuse of a drug, repeated artistic denials, an unfaithful spouse, an abusive relationship, a poor business decision... you fill in the blank.

How many of the above situations have most of us experienced? Granted... many of us respond with resiliency. Some more quickly than others, some more privately, some with no noticeable scars.

But some... are pushed to their limit and over the edge. How easily could that be you?

That could be me.

No comments: