Thursday, January 27, 2011

Colossians 2:13

"You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins."
After reading the above passage I immediately thought of one thing... Han SoloRemember at the end of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back when Han Solo is frozen in carbonite for delivery to Jabba the Hutt?


Frozen... stuck... bound. In effect... he was dead.


How many times have you felt like Han Solo? Living as if you're bound, stuck, frozen... dead.




FROZEN... by sin
STUCK... by sin
BOUND... by sin


Yeah, I know... you're still alive, breathing, having fun, living it up, laughing. Life on the OUTSIDE is great... but, what about on the inside? In your heart? Your soul? Without Christ in your heart, you are essentially dead. Your sinful nature is ruler of your heart, mind and soul. That life can only take you so far. And that "so far" does not end in a place I want to live for eternity.


At the beginning of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Princess Leia infiltrates Jabba's palace and frees Han Solo. He's rescued from his frozen state, his bound life, his death.


Christ wants to rescue us from our "carbonite" ... our frozen state ... our bound life ... our sinful nature. He wants to offer salvation, hope, joy and life. Not just physical life, but eternal life in heaven.


Father, you have freed me from my sinful nature. You have rescued me from my sinful ways. You have saved me from spiritual death. I must keep my eyes focused on you, my heart yearning for you, my hands reaching for you, my feet following you. Your ways must be my ways, for all the rest of my days.

No comments: