Friday, February 25, 2011

An Apple Is A Fruit, But So Is An Orange

16I don't really enjoy talking about politics... It's hard for me to express myself, debate, and discuss ideas. I know what I believe, but have a hard time getting it across to someone else without sounding like a complete idiot. So, I usually stay quiet around groups where political topics come up.

But, over the past few years there has been a concern of mine... And my concern has resurfaced with the recent collapse, and impending collapse, of some Middle East governments.

Here's what I'm getting at... And again, this is my personal opinion... As the Middle East sees more and more protests, revolts, and changes in their political landscapes, I get concerned about the assumption that these countries should adopt "the American way" as the "right way" in their search for and adoption of democracy... After all, it's the only CORRECT democracy, right? All other countries that want to succeed in democracy should have the exact same governmental structures, beliefs, constitutional ideas, freedoms, etc.

However... and this is where we start getting into my personal thoughts... using America to define democracy is like using an apple to define the question, "What is fruit." You can get a basic idea of what a fruit is by looking at and tasting an apple, but an orange is also a fruit, as is a banana, and a pear... They are all good for you. But, they are not an apple. They all grow on different types of trees (or vines in the case of a tomato and watermellon) and under different types of conditions. But, again... they are all fruit and all are good for you.

Let's take it a step further... Democracy, capitalism, and social responsibility cannot be defined by and confined to American standards {I know many people who would honestly believe this and it troubles me... "democracy" and "capitalism" are not an American creations, even though many would like to think so}. Every nation, people group, and generation help to refine these three ideals to best suit their culture and economics. None of these (democracy, capitalism, and social responsibility) can ever be perfected, but are always evolving and revolving based on the political, economic, and social needs, strategies, and vision of each nation, which can change (and probably should change) over time... century to century, generation to generation, decade to decade, year to year, month to month, week to week, and even day to day.

Did you see that last thing I said above... "always evolving" and "can change over time." I get frustrated with those that feel we should still be living under the exact same United States of America as in 1776, 1876, and 1976. We need to always be looking back and bettering ourselves for the future... We should be reading the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution with 21st century eyes. Economic strategies, budgets, responsibilities and taxes must change over time to be current and to meet future needs. Social responsibilities must be realized, updated, confronted, handled properly, and changed as needed. We cannot do things today as did them 35, 135, or 235 years ago.

And, though I think America is a very good example of what can be done with democracy, capitalism, and social responsibility, I highly doubt that it can ever be duplicated in another country again, or should be. And, if I can be quite honest... Here I go, I'm going out on a limb saying something a lot of people aren't going to like... A lot of times I feel like we have exchanged
  • democracy for hypocrisy,
  • social responsibility for social irresponsibility, and
  • capitalism for palatialism (yes, I think I just made up a new work for "extravagant living")
Yes, I just said all of that. Does that make me a bad American? I don't think so, just an honest one that has seen problems developing over the past few years with our "American way." I think we need to do a better job with all three areas... at the national, state, local, and even personal level. And, yes... I even mean myself.

Do I think America is a terrible country? Absolutely not... I LOVE AMERICA. I just think we have a few things to work on ourselves to get back to the great country we should be. I also think America is the BEST country to assist other countries in developing democracy, capitalism and social responsibility. But... they are not America... the "American way" will not work there. And we have to humbly keep that in mind as we assist them. Just like we cannot expect England to govern the same way America does, or Sweden, or Austria, or France. Egypt, Yemen, Iraq, and others in the Middle East will develop a democracy that's befitting for them culturally and socially; we cannot shove the "American ways" of democracy, capitalism, and social responsibility down their throat. America is an apple, Egypt is an orange... and right now a very young orange (actually, just a seed yet to be planted) compared to a 235 year old apple (America).

I'm sure I will be taken to task for some things I've said above... And, that's ok. I'll expect it and will be understanding with other opinions and view points, if they are presented in a respectful way.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Nice blog update!

Josh R said...

I am not so sure that American Democracy is 235 years old. The 1859 definition of American democracy and the 1865 definition where pretty staunchly different. We went from a plurality of states to a unified country.

I would argue that morality and ethics is what makes a country great, not it's form of government.

Eventually democracy must die, because the ultimate eschatology calls for a righteous king.