Thursday, February 10, 2011

Colossians 2:8

"Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ."
I remember a day early last summer when I was watering behind the greenhouse at Bloomington Country Club... The hose kept getting caught on this and that and at one point I finally pulled the hose with a strong jerk to get it loose. What I didn't realize was that the hose was wrapped around my feet and when I took a step at the exact time I jerked the hose... Well, I very quickly landed on the ground chest first.


I'm not sure which hurts more... landing chest first on the ground after my feet have been swept out from underneath me, or the hard punch to my heart after realizing I have been following empty and nonsensical "human thinking."


The past few months I've learned that during the last couple of years I've allowed a lot of "empty philosophies" and "high-sounding nonsense" enter my thinking. Which, in turn, has effected my actions, my language, my conversations, my relationships, my business, my ministry involvement, my desires, my priorities, my... my everything. Every part of me.


The philosophies and nonsense were wrapped around my heart and when they got jerked... I fell... And it hurt.


I could have stood up, brushed myself off and continued walking with the same philosophies and nonsense wrapped around my heart. But, like when that hose pulled me to the ground so suddenly last summer... I stood back up and removed the hose from me feet and made sure it didn't get tangled with me again.


Obviously, I found it much easier to walk without the hose wrapped around my feet, but I still had pain as a result of my nonsense. The same with my heart... though it still hurts from my nonsensical thinking and philosophies, I'm finding it much easier to walk... with Christ surrounding my heart.


Father... forgive me for allowing my heart to be trapped by ways that didn't please you. My heart is yours God... heal it, mold it, use it for You and your Kingdom however you see fit.



No comments: