Thursday, February 24, 2011

Special Education Teachers Are Teachers

[This is a recent "note" my wife Laurie posted on Facebook... After reading it again today, I felt it needed to be placed on my blog, too]

This is the latest conversation between my student teacher (she) and the social studies student teacher (he) she carpools with (there have been several conversations like these)...

He: So do you have to write lesson plans and stuff?

She: Yes, what do you think I have been doing this whole time?

He: Well, I thought since you were in special ed, you were learning how to be an aid.

She: No, I'm going to be a teacher just like you are!

So please help me educate others out there...Special Education teachers teach; we are not aides. We teach just like the rest of the teachers out there. We have to know content. We have to know how to make accommodations and adaptations to content. We have to know how to collaborate. We have to know tons of technology that's available to help the students we work with succeed. We have to go to workshops. We have to earn CPDU's. We have to be certified. We have to assign grades. We just happen to teach kids who have special needs.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: