Monday, February 21, 2011

Colossians 4:18 "Remember My Chains"

"Here is my greeting in my own handwriting—Paul.
Remember my chains.
May God’s grace be with you."

In the United States we have days set aside throughout the year to encourage us to remember those who have given their lives, sometimes literally, for the sake of our freedom, constitution, and democracy.

The last few weeks I've been glued to news stories about what's happening in several oppressed countries... The hundreds, and even thousands, of men and women who are willing to stand up for change, democracy, and freedom. Some of these men and women will go down in history and be remembered for their courage, strength, and hope for a better tomorrow.

For several years I've felt that the Church has "over-memorialized" people, events, and places. Churches have used...
•pictures
•idols (yes, I said idols)
•plaques
•holidays
•celebrations
•halls
•classrooms
•auditoriums (sanctuaries)
•bells
...just to name a few... to memorialize. But, I wonder... have these memorials taken the place of remembering?

I honestly feel like we, the Church, have devalued the importance of remembering through memorializing... Paul didn't instruct in the verse above to erect a statue to his greatness, or make his jail cell a tourist attraction, or gold-plate his handcuffs... I think Paul and all the other apostles are groaning in dislike at the large amount of memorializing but lack of remembering.

"Remember my chains" ... Remember what he went through. Remember what he gave up. Remember what he taught. Remember Paul and his chains for the sake of Christ.

"Remember my chains."

Father, thank you for Paul and the millions of other individuals who have given their lives to further your Kingdom. Help us to remember the content of their lives rather than just memorialize them as a person.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: